Skip to content
- September and November 2010 issues of “Yoga Journal”; specifically, articles on the history of yoga
- “Light on Yoga” by BKS Iyengar; specifically, “Part One – What is Yoga”
- “First There is a Mountain” by Elizabeth Kadetsky; presents an objective view of BKS written by a journalist who became part of his inner circle; includes many historical references
- “The Bhagavad Gita” by Winthrop Sargeant; this is the truest transliteration from Sanskrit to English; good to use as a reference though no commentary
- Any of several readily available books on the two widely recognized original and authoritative texts on Raja Yoga: the Bhagavad Gita, and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Reading multiple interpretations provides a broader understanding of the material.
- Any of several anatomy books written for yoga students, for example, “Anatomy of Hatha Yoga” by H David Coulter, or “The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga” by Ray Long
- “Hatha Yoga Pradipika” – the version I have was written by Swami Muktibodhananda
- “Light on Pranayama” by BKS Iyengar
- Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh, including the “Miracle of Mindfulness”; while Buddhist, this is good description of what yogis refer to as a clear and correct state of mind
Marblehead, MA – Local Healthcare Providers
- B&S Fitness Programs (fitness coach)
BNS Fitness is located in Shetland Park in Salem, Massachusetts. It offers group-style workouts as well as personal training services. The “boot-camp style” group and personal training workouts can be personalized to meet your goals. Workout routines can be customized according to your personal needs. Its “Silver Strong” program is specifically designed to improve the functional movements for anyone who is 55+ but does not work out regularly, or are just getting started to establish an exercise routine.
- Chinese Medical Arts in Marblehead (acupuncturist)
Tracey Green has been practicing acupuncture in Marblehead since 1999. She has extensive experience with orthopedic injuries, including muscle and joint pain, and healing from surgical procedures. She has a special interest in helping couples with pregnancy and has worked with acupuncture fertility treatment since the inception of her practice. Treatments are safe and gentle and there is a high quality of care with each patient.
- Debra Klein, Food for Thought (nutrition)
Debra Klein, AADP Certified Holistic Health Coach, ACE Certified Personal Trainer Healthy Cooking Workshops Kitchen Re-Boot Corporate Wellness. Klein is a local certified Holistic Health Coach committed to: (i) sharing her knowledge and expertise in cooking delicious, healthy meals, and (ii) inspiring others to make healthy food choices and foster a healthy lifestyle.
- Inborn Voice (voice coaching)
Mylena Origgi is in a separate category of healthcare providers: she’s my guru. In the short time that I’ve know Milena and her husband, I’ve become a better teacher, husband, father and friend. Thank you Milena for helping me change my life – even the parts I don’t want to! Truly forever grateful!
- Integrative Muscular Therapy Center (massage therapist)
Darcy Gilbo has over 20 years of experience in massage and body work with a specialty in deep tissue trigger point therapy. She works with a spectrum of individuals including the elderly and athletes. In addition, she works with orthopedic surgeons, chiropractors, cardiologists, and physical therapists to give clients the best possible care. She believes massage therapy can benefit not only the person’s body but also their mind and spirit. She works to treat every individual according to their specific needs.
- Life in Alignment (life coach)
Elizabeth O’Shea is committed to helping her clients tap into their highest potential. Liz comes from a mindfulness background, and believes we each have the wisdom and answers we need inside ourselves. Coaching helps tap into our deepest resources for powerful results.
- Dr. Carmela Mancini (direct primary care)
Dr. Mancini is a board-certified Doctor in internal medicine. She provides Direct Primary Care services, which are personal, transparent, and affordable, to her patients. Dr. Mancini provides primary care to anyone from middle-aged to senior citizens “the old-fashioned way.” She values trust, openness and transparency.
- Marblehead Chiropractic (chiropractor)
Dr. Paul Milone has been a chiropractor for over 25 years. He practices holistic care with a focus on treating the person as a whole. His goal is to help people with issues such as chronic pain and back shoulder pain to reduce and eliminate their dysfunction, restoring their bodies’ abilities to heal naturally. He is also dedicated to educating clients on what he does, so they can pass the knowledge onto others.
- Paradise Dental Associates (dentistry)
Dr. Helyne Hamelburg is a periodontist, her husband Dr. Stephen Hamelburg is a general dentist. Their goal is to perform the highest quality dentistry using the most advanced, state-of-the-art equipment and techniques. At Paradise Dental, a cleaning is not just a cleaning. They understand how oral health is related to total body health for people of all ages and especially the elderly. They are truly committed to excellence while providing comprehensive care in all aspects of dentistry.
- Positive Outcome Physical Therapy (physical therapist)
Dr. Heather Burke at Positive Outcome Physical Therapy utilizes a one-on-one, goal-oriented approach when it comes to caring for her clients. She customizes treatment services for every client, treating all types of injuries including musculoskeletal problems, orthopedic and spine injuries, neck and back pain, and more. She empowers clients by restoring functions and providing education so clients can better understand diagnosis, symptoms and treatment plan.
- Right at Home Boston and North (homecare for elders)
Family-owned provider of in-home senior care, providing short-term and 24-hour care services. 15 years in business.